Monday, November 1, 2010

Are you ready to make it one less?

Several days ago, I came across a song somewhere (can't even remember how!) and just heard a few snipits of it...one less something or other. I saw that it was linked to a video about an adoption, so I googled the song and found that is was indeed called "One Less" by an artist named Matthew West. I listened to the song on youtube and was hooked. Well, really, I was in tears. And totally inspired.

I had recently discovered through a Holt email that November was National Adoption Month. I knew I needed to do something. So after some thought, I contacted my friends in the adoption world, who had already brought their children home, and decided to make a video advocating adoption.

Of course, One Less would be the theme song.

This is what Matthew West had to say about this inspirational song...

Defend the cause of the orphans…" Isaiah 1:17

I was inspired by the hundreds of stories from people who were so passionate about adoption. What a gift for a family to open up their arms and welcome in a child with no home! Every adoption story is truly the proof that God is involved in the details, even the smallest details. I wrote the first verse to show how at the same time, in two different parts of the world, God is hearing the cries of two hearts, and little do they know they are about to be joined together by a God who can orchestrate the impossible.

There are so many orphans in the world today, that the mission of giving them all a home to the human eye seems more like a mission impossible. But, as I read one story after another about a child finding a home, I found myself saying, "That's one less, one less, one less broken heart in the world tonight."

You may not be in a position to adopt an orphan in your life right now, but there are many ways to carry out the command of the bible to care for the orphans. Personally, I have a friend who is in the process of adopting a little girl from Russia and he and his family are in need of financial support to do so. Many friends and neighbors are helping support this family's effort financially so this little girl can have a home. Ask God to show you how to care for the orphans. Every time you help, that's one less…


So I reached out to thirty or so of my friends from the adoption world, and they did everything I ordered them to do and provided me a picture of their children and families brought together through adoption! I knew that anyone considering adoption had to see the faces of the children who had found their families, making one less orphan in the world.

My mind often wanders to that what ifs of my own life, in a way that keeps me humbled and most grateful for adoption.

For that reason, I will do everything I can to be a voice for those who cannot speak for themselves and spread the word about the miracle of adoption.

Let me be clear, that adoption has it's struggles. Financially and emotionally for all involved...but know that in the end, God has a clear cut plan for where each and every person's path meets.

It just so happened that mine met my parents and Zoey's ours.

I hope that you will watch the video and pass it along, unknowing of who it can inspire and ultimately lead to new adoption journeys.

And be sure to keep up with the blog I have set up that will feature a family a day that have been touched by adoption at http://nationaladoptionmonth.blogspot.com.

My goal is to reach 10,000 hits on this video in the month of November...so that 10,000 people can hear the message that we are not to forget about the children who are still without homes...but if only one person walks away from this with just an open heart, then I have met my goal.

4 comments:

  1. That's such a beautiful video! Great job. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an awesome job on the video!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video...I love your heart for adoption and desire to share. I think this video will touch many lives and encourage others to consider what they can do to help the orphan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kim for creating such a beautiful video. It will open hearts of many to adoption.

    ReplyDelete